Chen's Suicide

February 12, 2018 Print Friendly Version of this page Print Get a PDF version of this webpage PDF
By David Tang (5th year Medical Student)
Name
Chen Siu
DOB
04/11/1989 (28 years)
Occupation
Lawyer
History
Note for actor/actress: Quiet, silent, and expressionless. Not receptive to normal conversation. Not responsive if the interviewer is asking question at a normal, lively pace and tone. Unable to look at the interviewer in the face. Only answer if the questions are short and empathic. Do not volunteer information unprompted. 

I want to die… 
There’s no point in me living anymore. I left my family just to be with my partner… 
Even she chose left me… 
I have no one now. I am even bad at work. I could not concentrate, and I get agitated at my clients. My boss told me to take time off. 
I took paracetamol… loads… enough to kill me
I went to different pharmacies and buy them separately so that I won’t be found. 
My colleagues at work came to check on me. 
They got worried when they couldn’t get through to me. 
They called the police. 
I regret being found… 
I would rather die. I left a note. 
I want Dominica (my ex-partner) to regret that she left me… 
I don’t see a point in living on… 
I don’t know what to look forward to in life… 
I have no interest in my job which I used to enjoy, I have no energy 
They keep telling me that I’m worthless… 

[When prompted about hallucinations] I hear voices, in my head… when no one is in the room. I can’t stop them talking to me. It happened after I lost Dominica… 
[When prompted about what I want to do if I’m being sent home] I wanna go home. I don’t need to be in the hospital… I just want to lie in my bed and be away from people. 
[When prompted about my intention on committing suicide] I’ll jump right in front of the tube. That ought to do the trick…
Past Medical History
None
Drug History
None. No allergies
Family History
Mother was quite depressed after I was born but this got better. She had a lot of complications with massive bleeds when I was born
Social History
Occasional alcohol, non-smoker. Work colleagues always have it together and there is no room for slacking. If they find out they will fire me. My mother went through so much to have me, she would not understand
Introduction & consent

Name, age, occupation

Establishes duration of thoughts on self harm or suicide attempt

Establishes triggers/stressors/life events

Explores planning for most recent occurrence e.g. finances, letter, buying equipment or medication

Asks if this has occurred previously

Explores any precautions made

Explores method used

Explores purpose

Explores expectation of lethality

Asks how they were found

Asks how they feel about it now

Asks how they feel about being alive

Explores views of the future

Asks if they are likely to harm themselves again and reasons why (not)

Screens core symptoms of depression (low mood, anergia, anhedonia)

Screens for cognitive symptoms: feeling hopeless, worthless, helpless, poor memory/concentration and guilty

Screens hallucinations or delusions

Explores available support

Identifies level of insight and willingness to accept treatment

Looks for substance misuse

Previous medical & psychiatric history

Family history of psychiatric or medical disorders

Drug history, alcohol, smoking and allergies

Ideas "Was there anything you thought it might be?"

Concerns "What about it is worrying you in particular?"

Expectations "Is there anything in particular you were hoping we would to today?"

Communication skills (empathy and avoids jargon)

Summarises back to patient

Classifies immediate risk of further self harm & suicide and whether patient can be safely discharged

Questions to candidates: 

Q1. How would you manage the patient?

I would ensure that the patient is physically stable. Then I’ll perform a mental state examination and take a full psychiatry history. I’ll assess the patient’s capacity if she refuses medical treatment. I will also refer the patient to liaison psychiatry team for further assessment of her depression.

 Q2. What are the risk factors of suicide?

  • Life events and stressors 
  • Extreme social class (Class I and V) 
  • Social isolation 
  • Stressful occupation 
  •  History of mental health illnesses: depression, schizophrenia 
  • Previous attempts of suicide and self-harms 
  • Substance abuse and dependence 
  • Personality disorder 
  • Chronic physical illness 
  • Family history of suicide